Thursday, December 8, 2011

An Alternative Christmas Tree


                 My husband and I live in a two bedroom apartment.  Unfortunately, our little piece of the world is nestled within the skyscrapers of our large city where living square footage is inversely proportional to proximity to the city center.  We live five blocks from the city center.  You can guess how big our two bedroom apartment is.

                It’s a losing battle trying to keep this place under control.  I’m constantly rearranging our things and throwing away stuff we don’t need, touch, or remember why we own. 

                A few weeks ago, I found our artificial Christmas tree.  It was a three foot, potted decoration that I covered with lights and surrounded with cinnamon sticks.  In a fit of rage, I demanded my husband throw it out.  It was dusty, large, and in the way.  Why do we need that thing?  He confirmed with me several times that I was, indeed, thinking clearly.  Finally, he set his face in a stern “My wife is insane” grimace and marched our Christmas finery to the trash room.

                Don’t get me wrong – I don’t regret throwing it away.  But, our apartment should be festive for the holidays.  All the sweet smelling candles purchased at Bed, Bath and Beyond (whether you went in there for lotion and walked out with six soaps or not) can’t create a tree.

                So, I went where we all go in times of confusion and crises: Google.

                I found some really cool ideas.  Here’s a blog that lists various alternative Christmas tree ideas called The PaintedSparrow.  

                One stood out to me: the tree made out of lights on the wall.  Simple.  Elegant.  Did not require me to store a large tree for 11 months out of the year.  WIN.

                We have black and white pictures hanging on this wall normally so I took them down and used the nails to create the tree.  It is one string of lights.  How many times did I have to hang them to get the best effect?  Four.  But, I think it was worth it!



                I decided simple was better for the decorations.  I wanted to make really fancy paper snowflakes, but let’s be real – I’m not a snowflake cutting expert.  I haven’t done it since I was six so I did the best I could (here's a fancy tutorial if you want to learn!).  The paper came from The Paper Source and I strung them with thread.  They’re hanging on the lights.



                All in all, I think it came out okay!




No comments:

Post a Comment