Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cake Fun


                This post isn’t meant to showcase a truly awesome cake à la Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes or Food Network Challenge.  Please, I don’t know how to build cakes!  It’s just meant to show a cute technique that I’ve used to make a fun little cake.

                I made this cake for a baby shower several years ago.  Two girls I worked with were having babies and I love them both.  I wanted to make them an awesome cake.  I went large and in charge – three layers of rich chocolate with ample buttercream frosting in between.  I frosted the entire thing with buttercream.  One girl knew she was having a boy but the other was waiting for the grand arrival so I went with green for the decorations.



-          - Light green colored frosting decorated the bottom and ridge of the cake (food colored buttercream)

-          - I added a thin sprinkling of mashed graham crackers along the edge as well

-          - Two green Winnie the Pooh pacifiers at either corner of the cake

-          - My favorite: two green sugar babyfoot prints in the center


The baby footprints: Curl your right hand into a fist.  Turn your wrist so that your thumb is on top of the fist and your pinky finger is the bottom of the fist (knuckles parallel with your arm).  Place your hand in green sugar so it sticks to your pinky finger/edge of your hand.  Gently rest your sugary fist on the buttercream to transfer the sugar.  This makes the little right foot.  Use the pad of your index finger to transfer sugar that will make the toeprints.  Use your left fist to make the left foot.

                Foggy mirrors and car windows are the best place to practice making these little footprints.  I learned to do it from friends on many bus rides home after swim practice or swim meets. 

                Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment